" I Don't Have a Disability I Have an Ability"



*Before, I start I would like to say the title is not mine but a quote from Steven Claunch.*

There are so many kinds of disabilities, but I am focusing on learning disabilities. Personally as a future teacher but also one who has dyslexia, I know about learning disabilities and all the challenges they bring. Every case is different no matter the disability, if it is dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHA, ADD, or something else. One thing I have to say to anyone out there with a disability do not let it define you but learn from it. I can say some people misuse and abuse a disability label which is NOT okay. The abuse of a disability not only hurts yourself, but also others who have your disability and really struggle with it. I personally think there are cases in which you should not ask for special treatment, but there are also cases that desperately need it. Also, for anyone who thinks o, they have a learning disability they will not amount to anything or they aren't as smart, please do think that because it is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY wrong. The label of a learning disability does affect people, and so many people are afraid to share their stories because they are worried about what others will think, which I wish was not true. I am not saying the road is easy because it is not. There is a lot of work required to do things that most can do easily, but just because you need to work more does not mean you can't do it.

A little bit of my story, in elementary school I got so frustrated about grades because I worked so hard and never got principle's list and thought it would never happen. Little did I know that I was dyslexic and that if I worked a little differently I could and would get principles list. Also little did I know, that with a lot of hard work and frustrating days I would graduate high school with Honors and a national honors society induction. To anyone struggling with a learning disability so many very smart people of the past had disabilities, such as Einstein and Leonardo da Vinci. I can say never count yourself out and never say I can't do it before trying. I want to personally thank all the teachers who encouraged me and really helped me with dealing with my dyslexia But more than anyone, I want to thank my mom who through it all no matter if I had given up or was screaming at her for pushing me she stuck it out and is a huge part of why I am where I am today. I can also just laugh because while writing thing post I have reversed letters several times ;)

For dyslexic kids here are a few tips that have worked for me personally.
1. When taking notes use a computer and type your notes
2. Record audios of your classes
3. Make flashcards
4. For classes like Spanish where spelling is important, get a white board and
practice like its an old fashion spelling test and practice writing out the words you missed
5.  Also personally. I have not used it but there is a new font to help people with
dyslexia
Now here a just a few quotes that mean a lot me and have encouraged me
 " Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."    -Churchill

 "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" - Churchill

" You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you,and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you." Brian Tracey

Also two great videos about disabilities and perspective about them. 


Final thought is that dyslexia has been really hard on me, but I have learned so much because of it.  I don't know what I would be without it, and I don't want to change the fact that I have it.



Comments

  1. Hi Jordan I'm Cris Calva (don't know if you remember me)
    This is inspiring and so true, I'm majoring in elementary education too and after spending three weeks each semester at an elementary school all I can say is that all the kids are different from eachother and we need to understand this in order to plan activities which will fit most of them.
    God bless you and I'm sure you'll be a great teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cris I do remember you and it is so touching you read my post :) thanks so much and I know you will be to! I am glad it is inspiring and I hope it helps people!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts