The Tradition of the Cowbell

As most of you know, I go to Mississippi State University. A huge tradition at State is the cowbell. One part to this tradition is you can not buy your first cowbell, it must be a gift. This tradition started around 1930's and the story goes that at a football game when State was losing against arch rival Ole Miss, a Jersey cow wandered onto the field during the game. After the cow, State began to win. Therefore, they started ringing of cowbells, and later they added a handle so it was easier to ring. Well many years later, the cowbell is one of our biggest traditions. We even have decorating parties and a big party on the drill at the beginning of the school year to decorate our cowbells. Personally, I have grown up with cowbells,since I have been a State fan my whole life. I can not imagine a home football game without them. If I had gone anywhere else for college I do not know what a football game would be like. It is so weird to think about. I love our tradition of the cowbell. No cowbell is ever the same. Each cowbell is like a person, unique in its own way. Also, as a State student you can never have to many cowbells that just is not a thing.  It is music to my ears to hear thousands of cowbells ringing in unison to the fight song or to "Don't Stop Believing"  as we cheer our dawgs on, it is always magical and the best sound in the world. I love my cowbell, and I will always ring it LOUD and PROUD!
 " I HAVE A FEVER AND THE ONLY PRESCRIPTION IS MORE COWBELL!!!!"








Comments

Popular Posts