Greek Life?

As this season of recruitment approaches, I would like to tell you the side of a non greek. I have nothing against any greek organization.  At this time last summer I could not decide if I should rush. I received a lot of advice for both for and against. I decided that I would wait a full year and see how my freshmen year went and then choose if I wanted to rush. I have seen it can be great and an amazing opportunity. But, I have seen many struggles some girls have faced while going through recruitment and then after joining. I am not bashing sororities; I just know that they are not the end all to be all.  Please believe me that YOU CAN have an amazing college experience and meet great people without all it. I was worried going into my freshmen year that what if I do not join and I would not get to know anyone. Also, I thought it will be harder to get involved on campus because I am not in greek. This is NOT TRUE at all! I met tons of amazing people and made so many great friendships and memories. I also became involved on campus through the BSU, Student Association, Council for Exceptional Children, and more while not being greek.  While you are considering whether or not to rush look into the details about greek life on your individual campus and what a sorority looks like. For many schools it is a huge deal while others not quite as much. The percentage of greeks on campus greatly impacts the campus and greek life. Many campuses have a smaller percent than you think.  I would say be careful and really think about the commitment both financially and time because greek life can be very expensive and time consuming.  Think about what you might you want to use that money for or on and what other things you might want to get involved in.  For me last summer I kept thinking I want to be able to in sisterhood, be able to take all those classic pictures while throwing my letters, have all those cute t-shirts, and have a big/little. (side note those t-shirts while cute are not free and are sometimes expensive and can add up)  The more I thought about while yes those are great, they should not be my main reason to join.  A little bit about me no one in family is greek or really all about it. While I know some who have families that are all about it or who are greatly against it please do not let other people decide or make your decision for you. Enjoy your summer and if you have any questions about my views or what I have experienced comment or message me :)

Comments

Popular Posts